The NSPCC Young Witness Service provides support and information to children and young people who may have to give evidence in criminal trials in Northern Ireland.
Volunteers act as a support person for children and their families when they attend court to give evidence in criminal proceedings. All our volunteer Young Witness Supporters are supervised on an on-going basis and supported in helping children and young people deal with the challenging and sometimes intimidating prospect of coming to court as a victim or witness.
• Have at least one year’s experience in a caring or supportive role.
• Have availability during normal court operating hours (9-5 Monday to Friday) and occasional evenings and can commit to the Role for at least one year after completion of training.
• Are committed to protecting children and young people.
• Can cope with distressing information and situations and use support systems appropriately.
• Have good communication skills with children/young people, parents and professionals.
• Can display a mature and supportive approach.
• Have a willingness to explore attitudes and feelings towards victims, offenders and crime.
• Are good listeners, empathic and non-judgemental.
• Can maintain confidentiality in line with NSPCC policies.
• Can identify when a child or young person may be at risk and alert a supervisor, working with them to agree appropriate action.
• Are receptive to feedback, learning and continuous improvement
• Are aware of impact of personal experiences on own outlook
• Are able to work within a team of volunteers and staff
• Can work within the Young Witness Service policies and procedures to offer a service to children and young people
All volunteers are fully supported by a named supervisor when undertaking the role and receive regular one to one and group supervisions. You will also be part of a strong support network to help you grow in your role. There will be opportunities to attend social events and be recognised for your contributions. You will receive out of pocket travel expenses (car mileage, bus or train) in line with NSPCC’s expense policy,
Necessary enhanced background checks and references:
A satisfactory enhanced criminal record check is a requirement for the role (Access NI). A CTC check is also required by the Northern Ireland Courts Service. Volunteers are asked to provide all relevant identity and right to work in the UK documents at interview. While volunteering, a re-check must be processed when validity has elapsed. At least two satisfactory references covering a minimum period of 5 years with no gaps is required, one of which must not be from a partner or family member.
Fore more information please contact the North West Volunteer Centre.
Opportunities Available in this Category
- North West Fundraiser - Cancer Fund for Children
- Youth Club Volunteer - The Jigsaw Project
- Foyle Child Contact Centre - Volunteer
- Community Support Volunteer - Positive Futures
- School's Service volunteer - NSPCC
- Volunteer Mentor - Coder Dojo Derry
- Volunteer Youth Worker - Clooney Youth Club
- On Street Community Youth
- Media Support Volunteer - Headliners
- Group Work Assistant facilitator - On Street Community Youth
- Childcare Volunteer - Strabane Primary Community Playgroup
- Event Volunteer - On Street Community Youth
- Childcare Volunteer - Little Orchids Children's Centre
- Youth Club Volunteer - Irish Street Community Association
- Playgroup Volunteer - Pennyburn Community Playgroup
- After-School Club Support Assistant - Foyle Women's Aid
- Volunteer Committee Members - REACH Across
- Primary Volunteer - Young Enterprise NI
- Business Volunteer - Young Enterprise NI
- Volunteer with North West Migrants Forum
- Volunteer with POCA
- Volunteer Group Facilitators - VOYPIC
- Youth Club - Sion Mills Community Association
- Volunteer Counsellor - Childline Foyle
- Youth Club volunteers with Sion Mills Community Association
- TinyLife Family Support Volunteers
- Individual Swimming Assistant - COS for Autism Families
- Young Witness Supporter - NSPCC
- Volunteer with Tinylife
- Volunteer playworkers required with Newpin
- Volunteer - Sported
- Youth Club Volunteer - Fountain Street Community Development Association
- Support Volunteer - Destined Ltd
- Fighting Words Volunteer Mentors - The Playhouse