Volunteer Peer Advocate with Onside Project, Disability Action
ONSIDE will improve the health and well-being of disabled people living in Northern Ireland and the border region by supporting and empowering participants to fulfil their potential as active citizens.
What is the ONSIDE project?
The ONSIDE (Outreach and Navigation for Social Inclusion and Digital Engagement) project is a cross border funded project led by Disability Action NI (DANI) in partnership with the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE); the Independent Living Movement Ireland (ILMI); and Supporting Communities (SC).
The ONSIDE project will identify disabled people who want to improve their health and well-being through increased social and digital involvement in the community.
It will adopt a pan disability approach: working with people with physical, sensory, learning, mental health or hidden disabilities.
You will need to be over the age of 18 years to apply for this role.
• Support participants during digital training sessions
• Motivate participants to create and maintain community connections
• Provide ongoing support to participants including practical support, such as attending activities in the community with them
• Monitor participants progress
• Attend training, supervisions and meetings
• Adhere to safeguarding policies and procedures (training will be provided)
• Empathy, compassion and understanding
• Motivate clients to participate in activities and in doing so promote physical and emotional wellbeing and reduce social isolation.
• Provide one to one support to enable people with disabilities to continue with their hobbies and interests or engage in new ones.
• Share your own skills, hobbies and interests to shape opportunities for people with disabilities.
• Liaise with the Peer Advocate Coordinator on a regular basis, including discussing changes or concerns regarding the service user, as well as your personal learning and development needs.
Opportunities Available in this Category
- IT Support Volunteer - AbilityNet NI
- Dementia Friendly Community Champion - Alzheimer's Society
- Volunteer Support Worker - Strabane Special Olympics
- Glenside Club, Strabane
- Horticulture Assistant - New Horizons Strabane
- Diabetes Strategic Framework Network Volunteer - Diabetes UK
- Volunteer Peer Advocate with Disability Action
- Service Volunteer - Headway UK
- Family Support Volunteer - Headway UK
- Post Rehabilitation Exercise Programme (PREP) Support Volunteer - Chest Heart & Stroke
- Volunteer Support Worker-P.O.C.A
- Volunteer Walker - Friends of Ardavon
- Welcome Volunteer - Movement to Music / Parkinson's UK
- Hippotherapy - Gortilea
- Solas Educational Support Volunteers
- Volunteer Opportunities - Cheshire House / Leonard Cheshire
- Volunteers for Action on Hearing Loss
- Support Volunteer - Destined Ltd
- Volunteer with Foyle Down Syndrome Trust