“Loneliness is not having anyone to tell that you are lonely”
Janet, Silver Liner
By volunteering as a Silver Circle Facilitator you will support a weekly telephone friendship group – a Silver Circle – for up to 6 older people each week.
Did you know? In the UK, more than 1 million people aged over 65 say they often or always feels lonely. Through this role you will be helping us support the 1,000s of older people who use our service each week and ensuring we continue to reach out to those most in need.
“Just speaking to someone helps me cope a little better…”
David, Silver Liner
This is a volunteer role that you undertake from home. Volunteers will need to have excellent skills in managing group dynamics and have a desire to support older people through encouraging and facilitating friendly discussions.
All you need is access to a telephone and the internet. We ask for a commitment of up to a year where possible and the ability to facilitate the call on the same day and time each week between 8am and 8pm Monday - Friday.
“I love listening to the wonderful conversations the Silver Liners have in their groups. They share life experiences, what they have been up to during the week and lots more!”
Tess, Silver Circle Facilitator
See how The Silver Line makes a big difference search 'The Silver Line' on YouTube.
To be a Silver Circle Facilitator you will need:
* Access to the internet and an email account
* A UK, Channel Isles, or Isle of Man, telephone (we cannot facilitate calls from other countries)
* To be able to commit to a call of approximately 60 minutes, at the same time and day each week, for up to a year
* To be able manage group dynamics and enjoy facilitating a group call
Does this vacancy require any particular skills, qualities or experience?
The most important skills you need as a volunteer in this role is to enjoy conversation with older people and have the ability to listen.
Is this role flexible?
You must be able to commit to the same time and day each week to facilitate the 60 minute Silver Circle group call. Your call can take place from 8am to 8pm, Monday - Friday.
What does the application process involve?
Our application process requires each volunteer to complete an application form and provide details for two references. There will be a 20/30-minute telephone interview and then a 90 minute training session that takes place on the phone, with up to 4 volunteers.
Is there anyone that is not suitable for this opportunity?
This role is not suitable for people under the age of 18.
The Silver Line website: http://www.thesilverline.org.uk/
The Silver Line Volunteering Page: http://www.thesilverline.org.uk/get-involved/volunteering/
Opportunities Available in this Category
- Good Morning Strabane - Strabane Community Project
- Independent living, Support at home Volunteer - British Red Cross
- Helpline Volunteer - Action on Elder Abuse
- Getting on Well Volunteer - Bogside & Brandywell Health Forum
- Good Morning Strabane Calling - Strabane Community Project
- Information Support Volunteer - Citizens Advice Bureau Strabane
- Volunteer Befriender - Flexicare
- Falls prevention programme - Age Concern
- Telephone Friend - The Silver Line Helpline
- Silver Circle Facilitator - The Silver Line Helpline
- Signposting & Information Volunteer - The Silver Line Helpline
- Luncheon Club Volunteer - Strabane Community Project
- Community Engagement Volunteer - The Silver Line Helpline
- Bingo Caller - Strabane Community Project
- Activities Volunteers - Strabane Community Project
- Drivers and Helpers - Age Concern
- Befriending/Sitting Service Volunteers with Strabane District Caring
- Activities Assistant with Diamond & Platinum Programme
- Reading Friends Volunteer - Age Concern / Older People North West