“Loneliness is not having anyone to tell that you are lonely”
Janet, Silver Liner
By volunteering as a Signposting and Information volunteer you will support the many older people who use our service who also require additional services for which they may struggle to access otherwise.
Did you know? In the UK, more than 1 million people aged over 65 say they often or always feels lonely. Through this role you will be helping us support the 1,000s of older people who use our service each week and ensuring we continue to reach out to those most in need.
“Just speaking to someone helps me cope a little better…”
David, Silver Liner
Volunteers will need to have excellent communication skills and a passion for signposting and advocacy.
The role is available from either our London or Blackpool office or alternatively can be undertaken from home.
See how The Silver Line makes a big difference search 'The Silver Line' on YouTube.
To be a Signposting and Information Volunteer you will need:
* Access to the internet and an email account
* To be able to commit a minimum of 2 hours per week (within the hours of 9am – 5pm, Monday - Friday) for up to a year.
* To be able to undertake internet based research on behalf of an older person
Does this vacancy require any particular skills, qualities or experience?
The most important skills you need as a volunteer in this role are to be aware of the challenges older people face in accessing local services and then being able to undertake internet based research on their behalf.
What does the application process involve?
Our application process requires each volunteer to complete an application form and provide details for two references. There will be a 20/30-minute telephone interview and then a 90-minute training session that takes place on the phone or at our offices, with up to 4 volunteers.
Is there anyone that is not suitable for this opportunity?
This role is not suitable for anybody under the age of 18.
The Silver Line website: http://www.thesilverline.org.uk/
The Silver Line Volunteering Page: http://www.thesilverline.org.uk/get-involved/volunteering/
Opportunities Available in this Category
- Good Morning Strabane - Strabane Community Project
- Independent living, Support at home Volunteer - British Red Cross
- Helpline Volunteer - Action on Elder Abuse
- Getting on Well Volunteer - Bogside & Brandywell Health Forum
- Good Morning Strabane Calling - Strabane Community Project
- Information Support Volunteer - Citizens Advice Bureau Strabane
- Volunteer Befriender - Flexicare
- Falls prevention programme - Age Concern
- Telephone Friend - The Silver Line Helpline
- Silver Circle Facilitator - The Silver Line Helpline
- Signposting & Information Volunteer - The Silver Line Helpline
- Luncheon Club Volunteer - Strabane Community Project
- Community Engagement Volunteer - The Silver Line Helpline
- Bingo Caller - Strabane Community Project
- Activities Volunteers - Strabane Community Project
- Drivers and Helpers - Age Concern
- Befriending/Sitting Service Volunteers with Strabane District Caring
- Activities Assistant with Diamond & Platinum Programme
- Reading Friends Volunteer - Age Concern / Older People North West