We are looking for people who:
- Understand and empathise with the needs of those who have experienced abuse, while remaining professional and objective
- Are committed to the mission, aims and values of Action on Elder Abuse.
- Have relevant experience (either formal or informal) in supporting people who have experienced distressing situations,or of working on a helpline or other role providing advice and support (desirable but not essential).
- Can demonstrate a professional and friendly telephone approach.
- Are reliable and able to commit to the role for at least 6 months and willing to undertake the necessary training.
- Can maintain confidentiality and deal appropriately with sensitive issues.
- Have the ability to listen patiently and constructively, and provide advice and guidance in a non-judgemental manner.
- Understand the importance of empowering callers to make their own decisions - rather than giving prescreptive advice.
- Can constructively challenge and advocate on behalf of callers, identifying issues key to the individual circumstances and pursuing matters to a satisfactory conclusion
- Can manage own workload, cope with challenging or emotional callers.
- Have the relevant skills to produce reports and and observations, and maintain administrative records as required.
- Can recognise and work within personal and organisational boundaries.
- Can communicate effectively in writing and by phone with a range of audiences.
Roles and objectives in the charity may change or develop and all volunteers are expected to be prepared to work flexibly in response to changing needs. All volunteers are required to operate in accordance with the Charity's values, policies and procedures.
If you would like to apply for this role please contact
Action on Elder Abuse
PO Box 216 Newry
or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Opportunities Available in this Category
- Good Morning Strabane - Strabane Community Project
- Independent living, Support at home Volunteer - British Red Cross
- Helpline Volunteer - Action on Elder Abuse
- Getting on Well Volunteer - Bogside & Brandywell Health Forum
- Good Morning Strabane Calling - Strabane Community Project
- Information Support Volunteer - Citizens Advice Bureau Strabane
- Volunteer Befriender - Flexicare
- Falls prevention programme - Age Concern
- Telephone Friend - The Silver Line Helpline
- Silver Circle Facilitator - The Silver Line Helpline
- Signposting & Information Volunteer - The Silver Line Helpline
- Luncheon Club Volunteer - Strabane Community Project
- Community Engagement Volunteer - The Silver Line Helpline
- Bingo Caller - Strabane Community Project
- Activities Volunteers - Strabane Community Project
- Drivers and Helpers - Age Concern
- Befriending/Sitting Service Volunteers with Strabane District Caring
- Activities Assistant with Diamond & Platinum Programme
- Reading Friends Volunteer - Age Concern / Older People North West