Main purpose of the role
There are various Buddy roles including Mentoring, Health and well-being and Horticulture. The main purpose is to enable young people with Down’s Syndrome to experience activities, which are fun, safe, social, educational and inclusive.
What will the role involve?
• Work directly with children and young people with Down’s Syndrome
• Provide information and build a rapport with young people and listen to concerns.
• Create a positive environment
• Assist the young person with setting and achieving goals
• Assist set-up and take down of activities
• Supervise activities
• Foyle Down Syndrome Trust Site
• Various other sites (Dependent on activities)
• Residential trips
• Good timekeeping skills
• Ability to work in a team
What’s in it for you?
• Experience of working in a busy and creative environment
• Experience of working as part of a team
• Development of organisational skills
• Development of communication skills
Support & Supervision - Depending on the role.
Mentoring coach, administrative staff and learning support staff.
Horticulture Development Worker, Mentoring coach and administrative staff.
Health and Well-being officer, Mentoring coach and administrative staff.
• Accredited OCN Training
• Understanding of working with young people and young people with Down’s Syndrome
• Experience for your CV
• Millennium Volunteers Accreditation
Opportunities Available in this Category
- Community Garden Support Volunteer - Koram Centre, Strabane
- Save Our Red Squirrels - North West Red Squirrel group
- Volunteering at Gray's Printing Press, Strabane
- Strabane Community Project Allotment volunteers
- Student Representative - The Student Energy Project
- Foyle Down Syndrome Trust Volunteer Buddies
- National Trust Volunteer Opportunities / Downhill Demesne, Mussenden Temple & Hezlett House