Main purpose of the role
There are various Buddy roles including Health and well-being and Horticulture. The main purpose is to enable young people with Down’s Syndrome to experience activities, which are fun, safe, social, educational and inclusive.
What will the role involve?
• Work directly with children and young people with Down’s Syndrome
• Provide information and build a rapport with young people and listen to concerns.
• Create a positive environment
• Assist the young person with setting and achieving goals
• Assist set-up and take down of activities
• Supervise activities
• Foyle Down Syndrome Trust Site
• Various other sites (Dependent on activities)
• Residential trips
• Good timekeeping skills
• Ability to work in a team
What’s in it for you?
• Experience of working in a busy and creative environment
• Experience of working as part of a team
• Development of organisational skills
• Development of communication skills
Support & Supervision - Depending on the role.
Mentoring coach, administrative staff and learning support staff.
Horticulture Development Worker, Mentoring coach and administrative staff.
Health and Well-being officer, Mentoring coach and administrative staff.
• Accredited OCN Training
• Understanding of working with young people and young people with Down’s Syndrome
• Experience for your CV
• Millennium Volunteers Accreditation
Opportunities Available in this Category
- Quaker Service Prison Befriender
- Dementia NI Empowerment Group Support Volunteer
- Kinship Care Volunteer - Kinship Care NI
- Phone & Home Volunteer Befrienders - B-Friend Hub, Strabane
- Volunteer Befriender - Huntington's Disease Association Northern Ireland
- Drivers & Helpers - Age Concern
- Youth support worker volunteer - Search
- Sitting Service/befriending volunteers with Strabane District Caring Services
- Support Group - Aware
- Volunteer Support Worker - Jigsaw Project
- TinyLife Family Support volunteer
- Volunteering with Leonard Cheshire - Cheshire House
- Arthritis Awareness Volunteer
- Compassionate Communities @ Foyle Hospice
- Volunteers for Action on Hearing Loss
- Foyle Down Syndrome Trust Volunteer Buddies
- Witness & Community Service Volunteers - Victim Support NI
- Check In & Chat Volunteer - Age NI