“Loneliness is not having anyone to tell that you are lonely”
Janet, Silver Liner
By volunteering as a Community Engagement Volunteer you will help us raise vital awareness of The Silver Line in your local community by giving talks, presentations and attending events on our behalf.
Did you know? In the UK, more than 1 million people aged over 65 say they often or always feels lonely. Through this role you will be helping us support the 1,000s of older people who use our service each week and ensuring we continue to reach out to those most in need.
“Just speaking to someone helps me cope a little better…”
David, Silver Liner
This is a volunteer role that you undertake in your local community. All you need is access to a telephone and the internet. We ask for a commitment of up to a year where possible and the ability to allocate 60 minutes each week to this role.
Community Engagement Volunteers need to be proactive in looking for opportunities to promote The Silver Line, be open to attending events we have been invited to go to, and share our enthusiasm and passion for raising awareness of a service which provides such a vital lifeline to so many older people across the country.
“I was so surprised to find out how few people knew about The Silver Line. I already talked about The Silver Line to friends and family but now I make sure everyone else in my area knows about it as well! I enjoy the role because I’m passionate about the service and the good that it does but also because the role is so flexible. I’m able to fit into my life – working full time can make volunteering difficult but this has been easy.”
Sarah, Community Engagement Volunteer
See how The Silver Line makes a big difference search 'The Silver Line' on YouTube.
To be a Community Engagement Volunteer you will need:
* To be aged 18 and over
* Access to the internet and an email account
* A UK, Channel Isles, or Isle of Man, telephone number (we cannot facilitate calls from other countries)
* To be able to commit 60 minutes per week
* To be passionate about promoting The Silver Line in your local community
Does this vacancy require any particular skills, qualities or experience?
The most important skills you need as a volunteer in this role are to be passionate and proactive in promoting The Silver Line in your local community. Experience of public speaking and engaging local organisations is desirable but not essential.
Is this role flexible?
Yes – this is a flexible role and can be tailored to your specific skills, experiences and work around your existing commitments.
What does the application process involve?
Our application process requires each volunteer to complete an application form and provide details for two references. There will be a 20/30-minute telephone interview and then a 90-minute training session that takes place on the phone, with up to 4 volunteers.
Is there anyone that is not suitable for this opportunity?
This role is not suitable for people under the age of 18.
The Silver Line website: http://www.thesilverline.org.uk/
The Silver Line Volunteering Page: http://www.thesilverline.org.uk/get-involved/volunteering/
Opportunities Available in this Category
- Good Morning Strabane - Strabane Community Project
- Independent living, Support at home Volunteer - British Red Cross
- Helpline Volunteer - Action on Elder Abuse
- Getting on Well Volunteer - Bogside & Brandywell Health Forum
- Good Morning Strabane Calling - Strabane Community Project
- Information Support Volunteer - Citizens Advice Bureau Strabane
- Volunteer Befriender - Flexicare
- Falls prevention programme - Age Concern
- Telephone Friend - The Silver Line Helpline
- Silver Circle Facilitator - The Silver Line Helpline
- Signposting & Information Volunteer - The Silver Line Helpline
- Luncheon Club Volunteer - Strabane Community Project
- Community Engagement Volunteer - The Silver Line Helpline
- Bingo Caller - Strabane Community Project
- Activities Volunteers - Strabane Community Project
- Drivers and Helpers - Age Concern
- Befriending/Sitting Service Volunteers with Strabane District Caring
- Activities Assistant with Diamond & Platinum Programme
- Reading Friends Volunteer - Age Concern / Older People North West